My Blog List

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Vacation?

Darn! I wish I had my camera. Nevertheless, for all you out there who want a glimpse of my life, you will get it...as soon as my cord is unpacked.

Being in Atlanta is surreal. Right now it almost feels like we are on vacation and will soon go back to Provo. We're staying in my Aunt and Uncle's house (well, great aunt and uncle...but they are about my parents age...) They are so kind to us. Good old fashioned Southern Hospitality. As David and I explored around Atlanta, they were our tour guides. They told us where to eat and not to eat; where the Governor's mansion is; where famous basketball and baseball players houses are; where the biggest and grandest houses are in town (think houses the size of the White House); they showed and told about farmer's markets and shopping centers; and they helped us navigate our way around town.

There is so much to be excited about! And I am excited, but it just doesn't feel real yet. Will it ever? Farmer's markets, different people to learn from, big houses, the city life, and awesome food, is enticing, but I will be grateful when it finally hits me that those are MINE, not cool things that are borrowed.

With out them I would feel so lost and so alone. We already have such great friends because of them. I feel a bit more familiar with the crazy Atlanta streets, but I am sure it will be years before I solidly know my way around town. Moving away has been hard. I will randomly acquire a few tears in my eyes thinking about home. One time was as I was petting their cat and another was during Sacrament meeting singing "I'll go where you want me to go, dear Lord." I wonder when it will sink in that this is not a vacation. I wonder when it will begin to feel like home.

At the moment we don't know when our truck will arrive with all our booty. It could be tomorrow or it could be Thursday. I will feel so much more relieved once everything is safe and snuggled securely in our apartment--not even unpacked--but there.

So as of now we are keeping busy picking blueberries (we picked 5 gallons on Saturday!) and figuring out everything that has to do with Atlanta.

I'll share more about our new ward in another post as well as pictures (hopefully soon) of our surroundings. Until then,

Rachel Reece,
Atlanta Edition

2 comments:

Erica said...

I LOVE blueberries. What a fun little adventure. I am sure there will be tears, but you should keep yourself busy dear! (I am sure you can handle that lol).

Marianne said...

WOO HOO! You made it!! I know you're going to love it there, Rachel! Throw yourself in, and make new friends, and you'll feel like it has always been home in no time!

XOXOX!