My Blog List

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Starburst Singing Time

Well, Hello. It has been awhile since I last posted about Singing Time. Most of the time I just forget to take pictures. A few Sunday's ago I had the kids pick out starbursts from a bag and whatever color they chose is the activity, ect. that we did.


I used two bags to get eight different flavors. Each of the categories consisted of a different group of songs, i.e. favorites or songs they don't know as well. Our new song was an easy one to learn. It was the one about how to pray. "I begin by saying dear Heavenly Father. I thank him for blessings he sends. Then humbly I ask him for things that I need. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." They got it only after 3 or 4 run-throughs. I also decided we needed a break from singing the program songs; I could tell they were getting a bit burned out. Well, to tell you the truth, it wasn't very hard to tell. Sighs, groans, and "not that song again" sort of tipped it off.



What I learned:

The kids knew more songs than I thought! I included several songs that I believe every primary should know, but I wasn't sure if our primary knew them. Many of the kids do not come every week, and as a result do not know the music as well. Also, the vast majority of the kids do not have parents who know the songs because they are converts and therefore do not sing the songs at home. This is totally OK, of course, it just makes singing time more challenging than it otherwise could be.


Sigh. If I thought far enough ahead I would have made the glasses containing the different categories cute and complete with labels. Oh well. Next time.



Candy is a good motivator to be quiet. I will not call on people who are not being reverent, however, I gave everyone who did not have a chance to pick during primary a piece or two of candy after primary. I instructed them to put the starburst in their pocket and wait until after church to eat it. I was very pleased with their decision to Choose the Right!


2 comments:

Julie said...

Starbursts would definitely be a motivator for me!

Marianne said...

That's a really cute idea, Rachel! I would totally sing for candy.

Looks to me like you're doing a great job in your calling!!