My Blog List

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Dear Mom #2

It's about time I wrote you another blog-letter. We have been going to the Atlanta Symphony a bunch. In these pictures we were on our way to listen to Bach's Mass in B minor. The flute solos were lovely. I simply love Bach, but the music did get a tad old at the end. My ears were tired of Baroque music; the whole concert was Bach's Mass in B minor. 




We have also listened to Beethoven Symphony no. 5 and no. 6, Ravel's Le tombeau de Couperin (fantastic piece, by the way) and Rapsodie Espanol, Mozart's Bassoon Concerto (why have I not listened to this piece until now?!) and Violin Concerto no. 5, Stravinsky's Firebird,  Rachmaninov's Vocalise, and other composers such as Grieg and Sibelius.

 *****************

You MUST try this recipe. It is essentially macaroni and cheese with hotdogs. But we didn't add cheese and instead of hotdogs we used keilbasa sausage. We also used whole wheat pasta. The noodles cooked in the cream/milk/tomatoes with green chilies mixture. You can find the recipe here. It is certainly a keeper. 



This picture was after it had cooled. 



****************

David and I agree that Atlanta's economy is picking up. There is construction everywhere! These pictures were taken from a stairwell in our apartment complex. We've heard rumors they are building an apartment complex. Maybe it will drive our apartment rent down!





Notice that there seem to be two projects going on at once--one is on the block kitty corner to us and the other one a block next door to it.

 


And a self-portrait in the stairwell. 


This picture was also taken from the stairwell.



*******************

I've told you how bad Atlanta traffic is, well here are a few examples. 



Add in poorly timed stoplights and it is a monster. I once made the mistake of being in the traffic pictured above. It took me a half an hour to get through it all.

This picture is above the freeway. Pardon the fact that the fence is in focus and not the cars...I have yet to figure out how to do that. This traffic isn't too bad, though. It's often much worse. And I get to travel in it. Goodie.


Last Friday we went to Figo Pasta. The food was not the tastiest, but the details they put into their restaurant were we certainly charming. I mean, look! Our water was in mason jars. Overly stylish? Maybe, but the fact that they even did it was nice touch. 


The table marker was our pepper mill. Ours was a rather boring dark red with martini glasses, but I saw a bright turquoise one being marched away to another table. 




We heard their meatballs were fantastic so we ordered two. Each one was $1.50 and while it was delicious, the price per oz ratio was quite comical. And disappointing.




******************

I miss you and the family so much! Please come visit soon. :)

2 comments:

Julie said...

Ooo, I love these new "Dear Mom" letters! I am long over due for a "Dear Rachel" one. I questioned the hot dog and macaroni recipe at first, but the fact that you added sausage. . . it really looks good! Love you!

Erica said...

the macaroni looks yummy!! I can't wait until I can eat dairy again ;)