My Blog List

Friday, January 14, 2011

A homemade Christmas

I love homemade gifts. I wish I could be more creative and make them (or rather, have more time...) but this year David and I received some AMAZING homemade gifts that I want to share with you all. 




Don't these chocolates look amazing? And they were hand-dipped by David's family. Not only do they look good, but they taste great too. One day I hope to join in the festivities. Candy dipping is traditionally done the week of Thanksgiving. 



These ornaments were made by my Sister, Abby. She punched the hole for the string and glittered them all by herself. What a creative gift! I love them! They'll hang on our tree for many Christmas' to come. 


Now, this I am told was a labor of love. David's sister, Julie made these. There is no way our hands will burn. It's double sided on both sides. She's amazing--I don't think I would have the patience for this. 


This vase was carved by my brother, Travis, in his Woodcarving class at school. He gave every member of our family something he carved. 


This amazing flower is made of Duck Tape. I can't wait to wear it to school. David's Sister, Melanie made it. 


I don't do it much anymore, but I love giving homemade gifts. The spirit of giving and love often seems more abundant with homemade gifts. Anyone who knows me well knows how much I love giving gifts. When I was younger (even up until the age of 13 or 14) I would sometimes make or buy 3 or even 4 gifts for my family. They would be small and mostly homemade, but it gave me such great joy. 

I remember one time when I was 12 or so I wanted to make my mom homemade soap or some type of homemade smelly thing. I soon became aware that one does not simply make soap. So I squeezed my creative juices together and came up with a plan. I would painstakingly shave off pieces of several individual soaps and mix it together with lotion and various other smelly stuff (I believe I experimented with perfume and flower petals.) I then proceeded to form the soap into cute balls. 

My mom was surprised to say the least. 

And slightly alarmed. 

4 comments:

Marianne said...

I laughed at the soap story!! You received some really wonderful gifts, didn't you? I love the ornaments Abby made, and I think I'm going to have to get my hands on some chocolate ASAP!! And Travis' vase is gorgeous!! He's quite talented.

David is standing right here with me and said to tell you that he loves you!! (Obviously I'm at work right now...) :-)

I love you, too.

Rachel said...

haha. That's hilarious. Ah, that David is amazing.

And you are too. AND I love YOU. :)

David Reece said...

Those are some great gifts, love. Thanks for sharing the joy! XOXO!

Julie said...

I remember those little beauties. You are one creative gal, you know. This is probably one of my most favorite posts of yours. :)