My Blog List

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Why Georgia Tech

It is official! We're moving to Georgia Tech right after the 4th of July. It is going to be quite an adventure crossing the country by ourselves. I've done it at least 5 or 6 times before, but always safe in the backseat content to draw, read, or listen to music. Well, I guess I can do that still, but I'll be in the front seat this time (of a U-haul) trying to navagate our way.

Here are some things I am not looking forward to moving:
1. I have a horrible sense of direction. We will proptly by buying a good ol' fashioned compass for our car.
2. I've never been away from my family for more than a week and a half.
3. I won't know what our neighboorhood is like--can I run outside? Is that safe? Do people smoke a lot? Will our neighbors be friendly?
4. I am going to have to find a job.
5. I will have to put forth a lot of effort to find flute students
6. I will have to get used to seeing David a lot less.
7. The traffic is TERRIBLE

Things I am looking forward to.
1. Even though I'll be away from my parents I'll be with in a few minutes from my Mom's aunt and uncle (they're a few years older than my parents) and a day's drive to my own Aunt and Uncle.
2. I'm close to the East Coast.
3. Getting to know some good Southern Cooking.
4. Exploring
5. Exploring all the old historic sites
6. Exploring all the beautiful house
7. Exploring and finding all of the cool shops and restaurants.
8. Apparently there are a lot of BYU graduates there.
9. I get to set up MY OWN house! How fun!
10. I will still be free from the bondage of school.
11. The Atlanta Symphony is awesome and David gets fantastic discounts because he is a student.
12. Making new friends.
13. The TREES!
14. The botanical gardens and beautiful flowers.
15. There is a temple right in Atlanta

See! There are more good things than bad. It's going to be quite the adventure. I feel like not only is it a new chapter in our lives, but a whole new section. Or new book in the series "David and Rachel go exploring."

Choosing Georgia Tech was difficult, but once we made the decision it is obvious this is where we are supposed to be.
1. It is the #2 biomedical engineering school in the country
2. There are many different research opportunities at Georgia Tech. David is unsure as to what he wants to research and this provides lots of different options.
4. There are 40 professors in the Biomedical department and 40 more in other departments that could mentor David. Rice only had about 15-20 in the Biomedical department.
5. Better connection with industry
6. Because I wanted to go to Georgia Tech--not Rice.

Life is good right now. It is funny that after all I have been pushing and struggling and laboring for the past 6 years has finally come to a close. It seemed so far away during the midst of it, and now that I have made it to the other side of the tunnel, I have realized that trials really do come to an end. God promised I would make it and here I am. It's hard to see the end from the beginning and to have perspective, but now I have a testimony of enduring to the end. The next trial that comes my way will be just a little easier to handle because of this past year. Not only that, but I will help those who feel their future is dim and their present even darker to realize that all hard things will come to an end.

Yay for moving on!



If you want more pictures about our Graduation. Click here. (It is my mom's blog.)

4 comments:

Marianne said...

YAY!! I'm so proud of you both. For graduating, for working hard and hanging in there when things were tough, and for being brave enough to move clear across the country in order for David to further his education. I think you're going to LOVE it out there!!

My brother and his wife are moving out there too, maybe I'll have to come and visit...

LOVE YOU GUYS!!!

Piper said...

My older brother is just finishing his PhD at Georgia Tech. I think they really liked it there.

Hilary said...

Congratulations! You are amazing! Good luck with everything! I definitely need to see you before you move.

Anonymous said...

YAY YAY YAY!