My Blog List

Friday, March 9, 2012

Visiting Dan


This picture was taken at Thanksgiving. Meet my adopted Grandpa, Dan Clarke. He is Aunt Barbara's father and he will often ask if we're related. Sometimes I'll simply say yes, other times no, and other times I'll explain our intricate pedigree. 

He has dementia and is one of the sweetest men I have ever met. Every time I visit him he'll say: "you're so beautiful! Hot dog! (other times he'll swear, but I find it rathe endearing).You get more beautiful every time I see you!" Even though he says this to a lot of women, it makes me feel really special. He asks: "does your husband treat  you right?" and "your husband's a lucky man!" 

I try to visit him several times a week, but it is getting harder and harder to find the time. I now teach 11 students and Dan is only awake and alert for certain hours of the day, and I can't always be there at the best times. What used to be 1 1/2 visits now only last 1/2 hour because of the amount of sleep he needs. 

My heart loves this guy! I am so glad I have the opportunity to visit him and brighten his day.

3 comments:

Marianne said...

You are a very good girl, Rachel. Hot dog!!

And eleven students!! Good for you!!

Erica said...

LOL. I LOVE old people. I feel like I get along better with them. You're seriously going to heaven for all your good deeds. I'm sure he brightens your life as much as you do for him. Xoxo

Grandpa Nana Carlson said...

Rachel, you are such a blessing not only to him, but to me. Thank you for being his friend. We are so glad you're in Atlanta.