My Blog List

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Favorite Kitchen Tools


If you love to cook as much as I do, undoubtedly you have most of these tools. But, if not, here is my humble opinion concerning the most important non-vital tools in the kitchen. (Assuming vital only includes a pot, wooden spoon, spatula, knives, and cutting board.) 


First is the microplane. I'm pretty sure I squealed when I received these. Stocking and wedding, respectably. A MUST for grating ginger, zesting citrus, and Parmesan cheese. 


The bench scraper. Heaven sent for scraping stuck-on bread dough from the counter. It is also amazing for cutting dough into equal portions--much easier than tearing. 


I could not live with out this dear, small, off-set spatula. It makes frosting cookies and cakes SO much easier. I have two other sizes, but I have found that the smallest is easiest to control. 


As far as I can tell the only purpose for this tiny serrated knife (which came in our knife set) is for cutting tomatoes. But, boy, can you get thin tomato slices with this baby. 


The cookie scoop: So great. I want an even bigger size one too!


Meet the garlic press. So handy. I think I got this one at Ikea.


Frankly, measuring spoons are quite necessary. This Christmas David surprised me with this awesome set. Why it is amazing: 1) 1/8 tsp 2) 3/4 tsp 3) 1/2 Tbsp 4) Heavy 5) narrow so they can fit into spices. David got it at Bed Bath and Beyond.


Do you have any favorite tools in the kitchen? Please tell me!

5 comments:

Jennilyn said...

I have two of those same little spatulas, love them. Garlic press essential. I love my perfect-for-making fudge Pampered Chef large spatulas, and the stoneware for rolls, pizza. And I have a favorite glass bowl that is just the right size.

Rhona said...

I love those measuring spoons - it frustrates me when I can't get mine into a spice bottle!

Erica said...

You have such cute kitchen tools ;).

One of my favorite kitchen tools is the apple peeler and corer. I love my apples in a slinky ;)

One tool I wish I had is a double boiler. {I just put a glass bowl over a pan, which is fine but a DB would be awesome!}.

A MUST have in my house {from Gygi of course} is parchment paper liners. My cookies look and cook so much better!

Julie said...

I used my microplane today for grating ginger and thought of you, of course. :)

ruthie said...

I am always reaching for my whisk and a white plastic narrow spatula - in fact I have three of them! I do need the microplaner, though - and I LOVE to cook, too. Thanks for the advice!